Each and every part of your car plays some role while you drive it. Even if they may not seem that important, but due to broken tail light, you may face problem while driving your car. You may have broken your tail light cover while backing your car in a place that is too congested or in a crowded parking lot.
When you drive your car without a tail light cover, you may come into a problem with the cops. Moreover, why only think about cops, without a tail light cover the tail light may not function properly. Moreover, as your car runs on the road, it may collect debris that will damage the tail light itself? So, if you do not replace the tail light cover in time, then you may have to replace the tail light only! That will be expensive, isn’t it?
Thus, instead of keeping the broken tail light cover, it is better that you either fix it, if possible. If it is not possible to fix it, then you must replace it. This article will help you do both. You can do what is required for your tail light cover.
Fixing a busted cover
It is not always necessary that you have to replace the tail light cover right away. Just take a look at it properly and asses the level of damage caused. In case the crack is shallow and quite small, then you can try to repair it now and not replace it immediately. With the help of a screwdriver or a wrench, along with microfiber cloth, plastic adhesive, and right grit sandpaper, you can fix the tail light cover yourself.
Here are the simple steps that will help you do that.
- Take a wrench or screwdriver and unbolt the cover with the help of it. You can also check the vehicle manual for learning it.
- Once the covered is removed, take the microfiber cloth and clean the cover. You must remove any dirt or grime accumulation from the cover.
- Now take the sandpaper and buff off the crack with it.
- In between the cracks, you must apply some plastic adhesive. After applying the right amount onto it, you must let it dry. If it does not dry completely, then you will face the problem later. So, let it dry completely.
- After it dries, then you can fix the cover onto the car again. It must work for some more time now.
Sometimes there may be another problem of the worn-out cover seal. Even if there are no shallow cracks, there may be an accumulation of dust and grime inside the tail light. It means that the seal and broken, and that is why the inner part of the cover gets covered by moisture, road debris, and dirt. For this, too, you do not have to replace a tail light cover. All that you require is to apply some plastic adhesive that will make the cover as good as a new one. You can apply the adhesive at the corners. This will make it airtight again.
Replacing a severely damaged cover
The question of replacing a tail light covers appears when the crack is deep, and it is something that cannot be easily managed. In case the crack is too bad, then it’s time to replace the factory tail light cover with a new one. You can get a lot of them online as well as at the auto shop. You will require a few tools that include wrench or screwdriver, plastic adhesive.
- First, you need to locate the screws and the bolts that keep the cover attached with the tail light assembly. You can access them by opening the trunk. It is best if you have a screwdriver set. That will contain different screwdrivers with the help of which you can open it. The exact position of the screws and bolts will depend upon the make of your vehicle. Thus, you can also take help from the vehicle manual.
- Pry off the clips from the old tail light cover. There may be some seal too that holds the cover with the tail light attachment. In that case, you have to remove the seal with the help of something sharp. While doing so, make sure that you do not need nick, scratch, or damage any nearby parts with the sharp edge of the object you are using.
- You also need to be careful about the bump of the bulb. In case the bulb is attached to the tail light cover, you have to remove that too from the broken cover. For that, push it in and try to remove it carefully.
- You must also put the lenses away from the body of the vehicle.
- Once done now, replace a new tail light cover in place of the old one. You can lock it, but before that, it is necessary to check if it works properly.
- After you have checked that they are working right, you can clamp the clips. You may also apply some plastic adhesive along the edges to fix them properly.
- It’s time to reattach the screws and the bolts that you had removed earlier. Once done you have successfully replaced your tail light cover
You need to make sure about a few things. Just do not buy any tail light cover. Check out if it goes along with the make of your vehicle. Sometimes you may want to change the look, but it is not always possible with all vehicles. Thus, you need to check out first if your vehicle is good enough for that.
In order to ensure your safety and keep the looks of the vehicle, you must not use a tail light cover that is broken. Thus, it is best that you replace it on time. Having handy equipment will help you complete the project properly. So do have them with you.